Zero day town options

imported

I’m looking for advice on towns I can reach off the JMT to meet up with my spouse and enjoy a zero day(s). Muir Ranch is booked up for my time period and Red Meadows is too difficult to access via my spouse’s motorcycle. Can someone describe the hike from the JMT to Mammoth Lake? Thanks

G Verdi

If you get off the trail at Reds Meadow you can take the bus that stops at red’s or at the trailhead across from the campground into the ski area. From there take the free shuttle into Mammoth or your wife could park at the ski area and take the shuttle to meet you. I can’t remember how much the bus costs but it wasn’t much and ran at regular intervals so was very convenient. I think she could drive to the Vermillion Valley Ranch and meet you there. VVR was a little pricey but I had a blast there. I also had a blast in Mammoth. I stayed at the NFS campground which kinda sucked but was cheap (no showers).

Big B

Another nice version is to hike into Mammoth Lakes via Red’s Meadow, and then after your zero days, hike back in via Duck’s Pass. The way in to ML isn’t too interesting, but it’s easy. The way back to the JMT is spectacular. The JMT miles you miss are, IMO, the least interesting part of the whole trail.

You get to keep walking, take your zeros, see as good or better scenery, and connect your steps.

There are lots of other options though, and of the few i’ve experienced, i’ve come to the conclusion that you can’t go wrong. All the connector trails are interesting. All the towns are worthwhile.

markv

Markv, what trail do you take to get from Red’s Meadow to Mammoth? Does it drop into town of to the Ski area? I agree that any of the side trails are interesting and you can’t go wrong no matter which you choose.

Big B

I don’t recall the trail combination having particular names. It headed fairly due east, didn’t end up at the ski area, and came out at Horseshoe Lake, where there is a shuttle bus into town. If you have the Harrison maps it’s apparent.

markv